Yesterday, I dug up a 4×4 plot of my butterfly garden. Last year, I’d let the “Obedient Plant” grow (normally I pull it up, you’ll understand why shortly) because it’s just lovely, and the butterflies and bees really love the flowers.
However, as I was edging grass, I discovered obedient plant roots. So, thought I’d edge it back from the garden a bit. When I jabbed the shovel in — I discovered a carpet of roots! The entire garden was now filled with obedient plant, to the exclusion of all else.
The obedient plant is MASSIVELY invasive and, while lovely, certainly doesn’t belong in a garden that is limited in size. I ruthlessly dug and pull out roots and more roots and more roots … in fact, I filled up my five-gallon bucket THREE times and had piles of roots left over.
And, worse, I’m sure I’ve missed some. So, this year, I’ll make a point of weeding any and all obedient plant out of my butterfly garden. I’ll plant liatris instead.
Now I just have to pray I didn’t destroy any milkweed roots that might have been in there…
Spring has sprung!